jackrussellworld.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Affiliate links may be used on this page and in jackrussellworld.co.uk articles, but they do not impact on the price that you pay.
A Jack Russell bed is an essential item that you need for your dog to settle. A bed is a comfortable and safe place for your dog where he can feel that he has his own space. This is particularly important for young Jack Russell puppies and rescue dogs when they are first introduced to your home.
Different types of Jack Russell Bed
There are several factors to consider when choosing a Jack Russell bed. Are you going to go for traditional dog bed or an igloo type bed? Or are you going to crate train your dog? What kind of fabric do you want for your dog bed? Hardy plastic may be a better option if your Jack Russell is a chewer (which many are).
Measure your Dog for the Bed Size!
Also consider your dogs size – big enough for him to lie comfortable and stretch his legs out a bit, but small enough for him to feel cosy! Measure your dogs ‘sprawl’ which is the full length of your dog when his front and back legs are spread out. The calculation will include measuring his front legs, body length (nose to start of tail)and back legs and then adding those together – that’s the maximum that he will want to spread out in his bed. The average recommended size for a Jack Russell is around 40X50cm (usually medium). Check out this dog bed size guide for more information. Of course if it is a puppy, you should buy the dog bed based on his/her anticipated full size as he will grow into it.
Best Jack Russel Beds
I have owned four Jack Russells in total throughout my life – A Jack Russell Whippet cross, two Jack Russells and a Jackerdale (Jack Russell Patterdale cross. The bed is the most important thing that you will arrange for your dog when he moves in. Here are the best options that I have come across in my jack Russell owning life….
Traditional Plastic Jack Russell Bed
A traditional plastic bed is great because you can put whatever bedding he wants in there, including something of yours that he loves such as an old jumper. For puppies, sometimes it’s nice to bring something from their first home so that they have the scent of their mother and feel reassured. One of the big plus points about a traditional plastic bed is that it is very difficult to chew. If your Jack Russell is a chewer he will find this kind of bed hard to destroy.
- A robust plastic bed for dogs with rubber feet to prevent slipping
- Perforated bottom for maximum air circulation to help keep your pup cool
- Lower entrance practical for young, older or sick pets
Soft Jack Russell Bed
Our Jack Russell Patterdale cross Blake is not a destructive chewer, and he has the luxury of a lovely soft dog bed. We love this rainbean pet donut!
- 🐾SOFT AND WARM: This comfortable dog bed is made of very soft and comfortable plush, safe and soft, which can keep your pet self-warming and comfortable in cold weather.
- 🐾BETTER SLEEP: our high-quality dog bed is ideal for pets who enjoy curling up! The raised rim can bring a sense of security and provide head and neck support, which can relieve pet's anxiety and vulnerability, easing the transition to a new environment. Provide more comfortable deep sleep and let pet feel more secure and surrounded by your love.
- 🐾EASY-TO-CLEAN:To stay fluffy, we recommend better hand washing, while it is safe in the washing machine and dryer. Note: It takes two hours to shake it by hand to make it as fluffy as the picture. It takes about a day to be completely fluffy in its natural state.
Crate for your Jack Russell
A crate which is covered by a crate cover or blanket can be a really cosy den for your dog. An advantage of crate training is that when it comes to travel, it is much easier and more relaxing for your dog as he is used to being in his crate. Remember not to use the crate as a punishment, it will be stressful for him to be locked in there if this is the case.
- Newly enhanced with added security features to keep your pet safe, slide-bolt door latch now feature patented paw block and locking tips to create a safer, more secure home for your pet
- Life stages double door dog crate measures 30.67 by 19.30 by 21.46 inches and is suitable for medium dog breeds with an adult weight of 25 to 40 pounds, if your dog’s weight or measurements are on the higher side for this crate, we recommend buying the next crate size up, when in doubt, bigger is better
- Dog crate includes a divider panel, durable and leak-proof plastic pan, protective rubber feet, carrying handle, and customer support team based in indiana