jackrussellworld.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Affiliate links may be used on this page and in jackrussellworld.co.uk articles, but they do not impact on the price that you pay.
Jack Russell Puppies are known to be a very friendly dog and a high energy dog. They like to cuddle up with their owners. They need to get out of the house once in awhile for mental stimulation. They are pretty quick learners, but they will have their moody moments. The Jack Russell is fine with other dogs and don’t care about strangers in the house but they will protect it from any trespassers or intruders that try to come into their home.
Is a Jack Russell the Right Breed for you?
Jack Russells are known for their tenacity and they are extremely intelligent dogs. They do not like to be alone and unless they are trained to behave, they can be aggressive without warning. This breed has a very strong prey instinct and need to chase anything that moves. If left on their own, they will develop bad habits that can lead to problems when they grow up. They need a great deal of exercise and attention, and have a life spam of around 15 years, so please don’t get one unless you can give him or her what he/she needs.
Getting a Jack Russell Puppy
Be very wary of breeders who won’t show you both parents, or who have the dogs and puppies outside in a shed. Most good breeders will have the puppies in the house socialising with the family. Also make sure that they don’t have their tails docked if they are pet Jack Russells. In England, only working Jack Russells should have docked tails and it should be done by a vet before the dog reaches 5 days old. There should be a veterinarian certificate to prove this, otherwise your Jack Russell may have had his tail docked illegally.
When you choose which puppy you want from the litter, choose a pup that is sociable and inquisitive. Healthy Jack Russell puppies should be alert and have clean eyes and ears free from infection. When you have chosen your puppy, try to visit him a couple of times before taking him home with you. This will get him/her used to you first.
It’s never too early to start obedience training with your Jack Russell pup – they can start as soon as they arrive home and will be eager to please. Train them, to ‘sit’, ‘stand’ and ‘down’ first. When the do the required action then reward instantly. You can use puppy treats to focus them and move them in the right direction. When your puppy has learned the basics, you can add more tricks such as spin, play dead and paw.
- Pedigree Tasty Minis are little chew treats for puppies in a delicious chicken flavour made for training, rewarding or treating your pet
- Pedigree Tasty Mini cubes are designed for young dogs aged 4 to 18 months and come in a resealable pack to keep snacks fresh for longer and are easy to pop in your bag for a walk
- Tasty Minis include calcium to help keep growing bones strong and vitamin E to support natural defences, so you can treat your canine with a delicious snack for good behaviour
Housebreaking Jack Russell Puppies
Jack Russells are known for their strong sense of smell and they want to sniff everything in the environment. What makes it worse is they are very stubborn dogs and will do things their own way if allowed. You need to be firm with your dog because if they learn to use the bathroom indoors, it is going to be very difficult for you to stop them.
The best way to housebreak a puppy is to get them used to going to the loo in the right place by taking them out to the loo every couple of hours and again just before they go to bed. If they soil in the house clean and disinfect it and ignore it – if you tell them off they are unlikely to understand why. What they will respond to is reward. When they do it in the right place give a treat within 5 seconds and lots of fuss. They will soon learn!
Some people use puppy pads which you can place near the door at night time. They smell like the scent dogs sniff to go to the loo and encourage them to do it on there if they need to wee in the night. They soak up the wee as well as signalling to the puppy where to go.
- OUT! MOISTURE LOCK - Quilted Dog Training Pads are 53cm x 55cm and use Moisture Lock* Technology to trap dog urine, absorb wetness quickly, neutralize odours, and prevent leaks making dog and puppy house training easier
- CONTROLS ODOUR - These pads are built with 5-layer construction and engineered with a unique odour control technology, so when your dog uses them, they don't stink up the place!
- STRONG AND ATTRACTIVE - We make these pads with stronger fibres that reduce tearing and shredding; Your pup can make as many circles as needed before getting down to business; Also, there’s a built-in attractant, so your dog will hit the right spot.
You need to let them go outside as soon as they finish drinking water or eating. Make sure you always have food and water available for your dog, because if he doesn’t have anything he is going to do his business on the carpet in protest!
Games to Play with Jack Russell Puppies
Jack Russells are very strong dogs that love running after things. The best way to exercise a Jack is to make it fetch anything with its mouth. This will help you train them and also keep them from getting bored. You can also get a Frisbee and throw it in the yard for them to retrieve.
- ULTRA BOUNCE BALL: The Chuckit Ultra Ball offers high bounce, buoyancy, visibility, and durability; This dog toy can be used in the water and is designed specifically for the game of fetch; Compatible with Chuckit Launchers
- NATURAL AND DURABLE: Featuring an extra-thick natural rubber core, these tough dog toys are durable for long-term use
- HIGH-VISIBILITY COLORS: The orange and blue design means pets and pet parents can easily spot the bright ball during outdoor play
In the house they are also good at ‘sniffing games’ – you can hide treats under cushions or blankets and say ‘find it’! You can also buy snuffle mats to hide treats in and also interactive dog games such as the Dog Tornado by Nina Ottosson. Hide treats or chicken in the different compartments and your dog can use his brain and his paws/nose to find them!
- Level 2 Intermediate dog puzzle great for pets with little to no puzzle experience; involves multiple one-step actions
- Provides mental stimulation for dogs; 15 minutes of mental stimulation is equal to 30 minutes of physical activity
- Helps reduce dog anxiety and redirect unwanted behaviors like excessive barking, chewing, and digging in a fun and exciting way
Walking your Jack Russell Puppy
Puppies, especially puppies that are around a year of age love playing outside so walkies are the best way for you to let them play with other dogs as well as enjoy the outdoors. The experience will be a very bonding experience for you and your dog. Your dog will be able to bond with other canines while enjoying the outdoors. Get a comfortable lead and harness.
- Size: Chest circumference: 40 -53 cm, Weight of the dog: 4-7 kg. For more products please visit our Amazon Storefront
- Professional control for urban walks: IDC Powerharness is your dog harness for bustling days, early morning walks, and getting around safely. It is a harness you can fit in one move and count on when you need it
- Interchangeable hook and loop patches: You can choose from countless different patch options to express your dog’s personality, mood, or to display useful information on your harness
BUT there are a few things that you need to know about walking your Jack Russell puppy safely. Firstly, don’t walk the for more than 15-20 minutes at a time as young puppies (less than 4 months). A general rule is 5 minutes of walk for every month of the puppies life until fully grown. Also the other thing that is very important is that you should only walk them outside of your garden and mix them with other dogs once they have had all of their essential vaccinations. This will protect them from dog diseases such as Parvo and Canine Distemper.
Your Jack Russell puppy will grow up into a very handsome pooch and develop their own little Jack Russell personality.
I hope that you are enjoying my Jack Russell blog. If you have any tips that you think I’ve missed, please comment below or contact me.