jackrussellworld.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Affiliate links may be used on this page and in jackrussellworld.co.uk articles, but they do not impact on the price that you pay.
‘Does a Jack Russell shed?’ I hear you ask! I’ve always been a Jack Russell parent, and our short-haired boy Milo so badly that in some summer months I was hoovering almost every day! He was the ‘tri-colour’ typical Jack Russell with short white hair with the classic black patch on his side and tri-colour on his face. Just like Milo on ‘The Mask!’ So the answer to the question ‘Do Jack Russells shed?’ is unfortunately a resounding yes!
Do some Jack Russells shed more than others?
The reality is that some Jack Russells shed more than others. For example, my black and tan Jack Russell Suzy and my brown Patterjack (Patterdale Cross) shed much less hair than my classic tri-colour Jack Russell. The main problem with the classic Jack Russell is that with the bulk of their coat being white, it REALLY shows up on everything! I was rarely able to leave the house without feeling like I was wearing half of my dog!!!! You might find that a roller comes in handy in removing dog hair from your clothes and furniture.
- ❤️️ 【Perfect Pet Hair Remover Roller】: The pet hair remover roller has a very effective fleece force and made of a semi roller coated with a static charge material. Just a couple of passes, you can collect much more hairs from fixed areas like Carpet, Furniture, Rugs, Stairs, bedding and Sofa. You can use it back and forth but it is better if you use it towards the back.
- ❤️️ 【Can be Used on Any Material】: It picks up every single pet hair from those highly sticky hairs, eg Velvet/ Cloth Sofas, Rugs, Carpets, Beds, Cushions, Curtains, Pillows and Kennel!❤️️Please Notes: It didn’t work well on those too smooth and hard material surface.
- ❤️️ 【Self-Cleaning System, No need Wash】: Just pinch one of the two silicone leather mats on the brush and swing it several times. Then the roller will clean itself and collects all hair and fur into the top compartment. The collection tray worked such well, easy to open and use.
A Jack Russell may not be for you!
If you have allergies or want to avoid a shedding breed because you are house proud, then unfortunately a Jack Russell may not be the dog for you. Although they are not really heavy shedders, it is enough to mess up the house and trigger allergic reactions.
Consider a Jack Russell Cross
If you have your heart set on a Jack Russell but can’t deal with the hair, why not consider a Jack Russell cross that is bred with a hypoallergenic breed, such as a Jackapoo – a Jack Russell Poodle cross?
Jack Russell Grooming
The most important thing you can do for your dog is to provide them with plenty of regular grooming. When you are Jack Russell grooming, use a slicker brush on their coat which will break up dead hair and redistribute oils. This will help you avoid tangles in those long fur strands too. A short haired Jack Russell only really needs grooming once a week for just a couple of minutes. The loose hair will then end up on your brush rather than on your carpet or clothes! Brush him/her more frequently if you wish and in high shedding seasons such as spring.
- Included components: Soft Protection Slicker Brush Small
If you have a rough coated Jack Russell, you may want to trim your dogs hair – especially around his face and bottom! You can take him to the grooming parlour, but it can be expensive and if you have the equipment at home there will be no need. It’s possible to pick up a cheap pair of dog grooming scissors on Amazon for less than £20.00.
- Two Grooming Scissors Kit - Professional dog scissors for grooming with 1 x curved scissors, 1 x thinning shears, 1 x grooming comb, can trim body fur with smooth blades.
- Safe Design - All the pet grooming scissors for dogs have Rounded End Tips, can provide security protection when trimming sensitive areas like dogs face, ears, eyes, nose, paws or body without hurting.
- Sharp and Durable - Made of stainless steel material, every blade is razor sharp and hard without rusting, reducing the friction to shear pet hair breezily.