jackrussellworld.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Affiliate links may be used on this page and in jackrussellworld.co.uk articles, but they do not impact on the price that you pay.
I’ve had four Jack Russells during my lifetime and loved all of them. Once you have had a few you will realise that they all have their own little personality. I often get asked, ‘Do Jack Russells like water?’ Well the answer is that some do and some don’t! In my experience it really depends on the dog.
Some Jack Russells love to swim!
Some Jack Russells love swimming and will swim in any water that they come across. Some of them will even want you to throw their ball in the water for them when they play fetch!
There are many Jack Russells on Instagram enjoying playing in their dog paddling pool during the hot weather! Those are great for having fun and also keeping them cool.
- Size S (32''*12'') - Dono small-sized dog pool can be used for small dogs such as teddies, Chihuahuas and small animals like cats; it is also a safe pool for children. Children will enjoy playing in it
- Multi-function- This swimming pool can be used not only as a pet pool, dog bath but also as a children’s pool, baby bath, children’s and dog’s playground, can be used outdoors, indoors, and on the beach
- Easy to Use- No need to inflate, it can be used when it is placed on flat ground and filled with water, and it is fast to release water with one button
Safety advice for Swimming Dogs
Most Jack Russells can swim, but actually not all of them can and so it is a good idea to test this out with a specialist at a proper dog pool or hydrotherapist. Once you know that your dog can swim safely, he can enjoy swimming on a regular basis, just make sure that you are safety aware.
Some Jack Russells love to swim and just straight into pools, streams and even the sea. This is all well and good, but make sure that they don’t go too far out! You need to be able to get to them if they get into any trouble.
Also be aware of your dog drinking from ponds and pools. Some of them contain blue-green algae which is toxic for dogs. Dogs can develop poisoning when they drink from, or even simply swim in, contaminated water sources. If blue-green algae is ingested, it can cause severe neurologic or liver damage.
If you would like your dog to get some support while swimming, you can actually buy a doggy life jacket on Amazon.
- Intensive Flotation Vest - This life jacket provides considerable buoyancy help your dog move freely when in water or on boat and can be used for swimming training
- Safety Dog Vest - Highly visible reflective strips and bright color, easier to spot in the dark and avoid possible accidents
- Rescue Handle - The lifesaver has a top Grab handle for better control. Can be used to pull your pet from water when necessary
Many Jack Russells love Running water!
In my experience many Jack Russells LOVE running water!
My last Jack Russell Milo used to love drinking water directly from the outside tap. He also used to go crazy for the hose pipe when I was watering the garden. We had a spray gun on the end of the hose and he used to try to catch the water out of it!
- 🔫8 Different Spray Watering Patterns🌊The hosepipe spray gun has 8 kinds of watering setting (mist, cone, shower, center, flat, rinse, jet, soaker)which can be easily adjusted by the Spin-click spray selector. Whether you need the high-pressure jet to clean your patio or the soft shower to water your garden, the 8 patterns have you covered.
- 🔫Anti-Slip Design🌊The Anti-Slip handle with soft rubber coating fits the human hand structure, comfortable grip and easier to use. Compared with plastic material garden hose gun, metal material more durable and long-lasting.
- 🔫Save Water and Labor Saving🌊Our garden spray gun adopts a sealed design. Multiple internal rubber o-ring washers provides a durable tight seal to eliminate leaks, which will save more than 50% water. The garden hose nozzle is provided with a fixed wrench on the bottom of the handle, which continuously sprays water without pressure by hand.
Sometimes when I was cleaning the bathroom or washing my face, he would come in and jump in the bath! I’d put the tap on for him so he could drink and play in it.
Do all Jack Russells like water?
No, they don’t! I have had one Jack Russell who really wasn’t a fan of it. She would avoid ponds and streams like the plague. She would go into the sea slightly, but then when a big wave came she would come running back out! And baths…..wow, she hated baths!
Just find out slowly what your Jack Russell likes or doesn’t like. Once you know that your dog CAN swim, after that you don’t need to force them too. Some dogs can swim, but don’t like to and would only do it out of necessity.
Help! My Jack Russell HATES the Bath!
It’s true that some Jack Russells absolutely HATE the bath. They will shiver and quake. Their body will go rigid and their paws will claw on the door frame to try to stop you from getting them in the bathroom!!!
Here’s a little trick to help with that. Get one of the licky mats that has suckers to go on the side of the bath. Smear your dogs favourite pate, meat or special treat (mutt butter) on the licky mat. Stick it on the side of the bath and invite them in WITHOUT water. The will start to enjoy the bathroom! Then you can slowly introduce a bit of water each time, and eventually you may find your dog getting a bath without as much stress.
I hope that you enjoyed this article and that I’ve answered all your questions on ‘Do Jack Russells like Water?’ Does your pooch like water? Do drop a comment on my blog – I’d love to hear from you!