jackrussellworld.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Affiliate links may be used on this page and in jackrussellworld.co.uk articles, but they do not impact on the price that you pay.
The Jack Russell Terrier, also known as the JRT or “Jack,” is a small, quick dog with an energetic and bold personality. Born in England and bred to hunt foxes below ground, the Jack Russell remains a working terrier to this day and can make a great family pet. Training is important for these dogs who have lots of energy, but it’s not hard once you know what they need. It’s also important to socialize your puppy early on with kids and other pets so that he will grow up friendly towards them. So what do we know about the Jack Russell personality|?
Jack Russell Personality – Little Big Dogs!
Jacks are famous for being “little big dogs.” They have a persistent, energetic, bold personality. They can be dominant dogs who fight to be the leader of the pack. Not only are some Russells natural hunters, but they also like to chase and sometimes kill other small animals. This means that it’s especially important to train your terrier.
They are VERY energetic and will need exercising at least twice a day for a minimum of 30 minutes. This needs to be combined with off-lead time for them to run around and let off steam. Try to incorporate playing into their routine as well. Jack Russells love to play fetch and tug-o-war with a ragga or rope toy!
- ✅【LEGENDARY QUALITY by RIO Direct】: For pets safety, we only use WASHABLE 100% NATURAL COTTON FIBERS , safe for dental chew.
- ✅【PERFECT SIZE FOR LARGE DOGS】: Designed for large breeds & medium breeds. SUPER TOUGH AND DURABLE. Extra large size 28 Inch 3 Knots rope tug best for aggressive chewers for tug of war or chewing training.
- ✅【HEALTHY FOR YOUR PET】: NON TOXIC Cotton CLEANS TEETH and MASSAGES GUMS and Can Help Fight Plaque Build-Up as Well as Help Prevent Gum Disease.
Jack Russells are Great Companions
The best thing about the Jack Russell personality is that they are extremely loyal to their owner. They like to be with their owner whenever possible. This is why they make great lapdogs and good companion animals. They can be good with children if they are well trained and grow up with them. However, children need to be taught how to treat the dog with respect. And of course, never leave a child alone with a Jack Russell.
They need Training!
When it comes time for potty training, start off easy by using a crate. The Jack Russell will go in one corner while you’re around but won’t soil his sleeping area. He’ll learn that peeing or pooping elsewhere is what gets him into trouble; going in his corner will get him out of it!
- 30L x 21W x 24H Inches
- Ideal for pets 26 to 40 pounds
- Double doors for side and front access; slide-bolt latches; rounded corners
You may decide to train your terrier straight into going outside. We did that with both of the Jack Russells we adopted as adults and they literally picked it up within a couple of days. Toilet training should be an easy process with a pup who’s smart and learns quickly.
They hate being left alone, so if you’re going to work all day or travel, be sure to crate them or keep them company in a room with you while you go about your morning routine and make lunch.
Jacks are Independent and can be Troublesome!
Jacks have an independent streak that will probably lead them into trouble at some point. They can be goofy and mischievous. They also have a tendency to want to chase smaller animals, so it’s important to socialize them early on with cats, rabbits and other dogs if you’ll ever have a pet like this around. You’ll also want them to learn that chasing other dogs will get them into trouble, so make sure he socialises with friendly ones when you’re out walking.
When it comes time for training your Jack Russell, start him off easy and work up to harder tasks. It’s a good idea to use a clicker to mark the correct behaviour so he’ll know what you want. Jack Russells are very independent and although they are very trainable indoors, training because a massive challenge when you step outside! Don’t train too hard and always end on a positive note. A Jack Russell will not respond well to harsh training methods. On the other hand, praise will go far with this breed; results come faster if he gets his treat every time he does his business in the right place!
- ✔Scientific Training Methods - The training clicker will have the clear sound after pressing the button easily. Big button for easy clicking and loud sound. Rake training method is now more and more popular, and many people call the "happy training method", do not need to beat, do not need to force, you can learn a short time for your dog you want him to learn a variety of small tricks, and easy to forget.
- ✔Simple & Safety - Unlike the expensive electric shock dog products, our products do not contain electricity, will not give the dog and the owner of the electric shock. The shape of the water droplets in the hands of the very comfortable, the sound stable, easy to identify the button, stainless steel shrapnel by 10,000 times the pressure is not deformed, durable, not rust.
- ✔Advantages of Collocation - different colors on package (Blue and white) with free gift storage bag (10*16cm) to be convenient to carry and store. You can place it in car, bag and pocket to obtain it easily when you need to train your pets.
One way to keep your Jack Russell occupied and entertained is with a toy that involves treats. You can also do the same with food by putting his kibble into an empty pill bottle and threading it through a hole in the lid. His Jack Russell terrier personality will get him digging and pawing at it until he figures out how to get the food out! Other good toys for this breed are those that have a treat inside, such as a KONG.
- Mentally stimulating toy, offering enrichment by helping satisfy dogs’ instinctual needs
- KONG black rubber formula is specifically designed for power chewers
- Unpredictable bounce for games of fetch
If your Jack Russell isn’t being well-behaved, then you’ll have to set rules for him. The first thing you should do is give more attention when he’s being good than when he’s bad. And after all, what dog wants attention when they’re misbehaving? Then teach him the difference between good behavior and bad using positive reinforcement methods (reward based training). Our Blake LOVES these WAGG training treats!
- Go-cat has been feeding cats with good, wholesome nutrition for decades and this honour comes with great responsibility
- Oven baked for great taste
- No added sugar