jackrussellworld.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Affiliate links may be used on this page and in jackrussellworld.co.uk articles, but they do not impact on the price that you pay.
The purpose of this post is to introduce you all to the world of Jack Russell terriers, and specifically one particular breed which takes things a little further. Yes, you guessed it – I’m talking about the Hyper Jack Russell!
Introducing the Jack Russell Terrier
Everything about these dogs is special. From their build, to their character, to their incredible ‘hyperness’ that explodes on the dog when it feels it’s going to get its way, and most importantly it’s boundless energy! Even though it’s not a recognised breed (or should I say ‘breed’ as there is debate about whether this is actually a recognised dog, though in my opinion they are) there are many people who have fallen in love with them and genuinely believe they make great pets.
Firstly, let’s start with their appearance. These dogs are quite a small breed, and although this is mainly because of their muscular build, it’s important to note that although these dogs are not big dogs in size, they’re very strong and energetic. Rather than being clumsy and heavy they’re energetic and agile, making them very suited for all sports!
They have a strong build for both protection and hunting, meaning that they can be used to catch the biggest of animals. They have “mixed” genes which give them a lot of the characteristics of both breeds. Their light weight allows them to work at high speeds but still be able to carry and fight large threats if required.
Most importantly, they have the intelligence and skills required to follow orders, meaning that they’re very easy to train. Anyone who wants a dog for a guard or hunting role should consider them!
How can I calm my Hyper Jack Russell?
There are lots of things that you can do to help your Jack Russell to spend his energy. Here are some top tips for dealing with a hyper Jack Russell:
Plenty of Exercise
Your Jack Russell will need at least two thirty minute walks a day and will enjoy extended walks (1 hour plus!) on weekends. If you don’t exercise your JRT sufficiently, then that energy may be diverted to destruction or aggression! Read this article about Jack Russell exercise as a guide.
If your Jack Russell can’t go off lead consider getting a long rope lead so that he can run without you worrying about losing control of him. We use a strong climbing rope with Blake, which attaches to his harness with a Carabiner.
- Detail parameter: Both ends sewed with 2 Carabiners, 2 Plastic Protection rings. Diameter: 10mm, Pull(Max tensile force): 10KN（2200lbs), Weight limited : 1000 kg.
- Superior material: Polyester reinforced silk, use nanotechnology to create ultra-fine nylon raw silk. Which is durable and long lasting, good abrasion resistance with firm braiding sheath for a longer service life.
- Knitting technology: Our rope is made of three large core ropes. Weaving precision does not absorb water, moderate soft, strong binding force, more wear-resistant. Not easy pilling and keep Good braking function.
Play fun Games
It’s fun to play games with your Jack Russell terrier. This will help him to spend his energy and strengthen your bond with your dog. Many Jack Russells enjoy playing fetch. They will also enjoy scent games and interactive dog toys such as the Nina Ottosson dog tornado. These kind of toys allow your dog to use his paws, mouth and brain!
- INTERMEDIATE DOG PUZZLE: Exercise your dog’s mind with the interactive level 2 Dog Tornado puzzle toy. This engaging dog treat dispenser provides a fun physical & mental challenge. Your pup will need to learn how to combine multiple steps to retrieve the hidden treat
- BOREDOM BUSTER: With 12 hidden compartments and 3 dog bone covers you can vary the difficulty level of this stimulating dog puzzle to keep your furry friend excited and satisfied
- EASY TO CLEAN: The Dog Tornado puzzle toy is easy to wash by hand with mild soap and warm water. Make sure all compartments are dry before using
You might like to read this article about Jack Russell Games.
Training and Obedience
As Jack Russells are very intelligent dogs, it is important to exercise them mentally as well as physically. Make sure that you do basic obedience training with your dog including sit, down, stand and come. Once you have mastered the basics and developed a strong bond with your dog, you can then move on to tricks such as spin round and roll over. Jack Russells that are food motivated and willing to please will learn very quickly and enjoy doing their tricks and training. You can read more about training a Jack Russell here.