jackrussellworld.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Affiliate links may be used on this page and in jackrussellworld.co.uk articles, but they do not impact on the price that you pay.
A Jack Russell is an all-around active and intelligent breed of terrier, so it’s not unusual for them to enjoy playing games with their people. This post will outline the best games for JRTs, with lots of pictures and video clips of the dogs having a blast! These games are perfect for both families with small children as well as single pet owners.
Some JRTs like to use their minds while others like to focus more on their physical coordination skills. Regardless of which type your pup is, finding the right game can help you bond in a fun way that also keeps your dog healthy and happy. The following games will help you to activate your dog’s brain while also keeping your dog happy and distracted.
My Favourite Jack Russell Games
My Jack Russells have all love to play ‘find it’ where you show the dog a treat (let him/her sniff it) then shut the dog out of the room and hide a treat somewhere. When the treat is hidden, and he has had a sniff so knows what he is looking for he will use his nose and start searching. My Jack Russells usually find the treat between 15 seconds and 3 minutes depending on how well hidden the treat is and how smelly the treat is! This is one of my favourite Jack Russell games as it’s fun for all the family to watch.
- The main fabric is soft, durable and safe polar fleece, filled with PP cotton.
- Hide dry food in it for dogs who eat too quickly, so you can reduce the quick entwined without chewing.
- Safe TRP toy in corn, dogs can bite it or grind their teeth.
If you want to take this a step further you can actually buy snuffle mats for dogs, which are rag mats that have lots of places to hide treats in – these work wonders when you go out and want to leave your dog something to do.
- 🐾【Develop Good Habits of Dog】beetoy feeding mat as a skills training mat mimics the natural environment. Sprinkle food on the snuffle mat and let the dogs find the food through snuffling, thereby improving their forging skills. It can not only make feeding slowly and have good digestion ability, but also can stimulate the dog's mind and nose work by conducting foraging training at the same time.
- 🐾【Ultra-durability to A Strong Bite】As you know, dog bites are very violent and powerfully destructive. After careful consideration, our pet dog feeding mat adopts thick felt cloth which is high anti-tearing and makes into the shape of grass sewn on the mat with thick cotton thread, which can withstand strong bites and is not easy to break off. You can rest assure while your puppy is snuffling.
- 🐾【Dual-use and Portable】beetoy dog snuffle mat has a creative design. It has two forms, one is to completely lay the puppy snuffing mat as a blanket; the other is to grab the PP belt drawstring on the edge of the circular pet dog mat, tighten the blanket, and make it into a bowl shape, making the footprint of the dog mat smaller and can be placed into the backpack, easy to carry and travel.
Most Jack Russells love to play fetch and tennis balls are the most popular choice. First you need to assess whether your JRT is interested in balls – some are, some aren’t, but you will see instantly when you get the ball moving if he loves it! Sometimes you can have a Jack Russell who loves to fetch the ball but won’t give it back!
- The big play and fetchball for dogs
- Floats extremely high on the water, making it highly visible for your dog
- Easily take the dog with its mouth
With Milo, we used to have two balls on the go on rotation, because he would bring and release the first ball when he saw the second one ready to throw! It helps them to spend their energy and is great fun for both the dogs and their owners. Depending on the size of your house (and whether you have breakables!)
you can also check out this article on Jack Russell toys to play games with.
Yes it’s true, I’ve had two Jack Russells in my lifetime that were absolutely brilliant at football – Patch and Milo. Make sure that it is a sturdy football and that they are supervised with it. Then you can take them into the garden or to a safe enclosed field and have a kick around. They will get a lot of energy out when they chase it.
- ⚽Ideal Dogs Toy: Dogs football Can be used Anytime, Anywhere indoors and outdoors. Suitable for use in water. Play at home, in parks, beaches and swimming pools.
- ⚽Safety Quality: Dogs football Made from eco-friendly, non toxic, recyclable material. No choke hazards, artificial fragrance or detachable parts.Not recommended for aggressive chewers.
- ⚽Interactive Dog Toy: Dog football with nylon grab tabs create an erratic bounce, which dog love to chase and play. Printed dog paws could attract dogs' attention and keep your dog entertained. Also there is strap for people to hold, you can interact with your dog and play together. Great interactive dog toy to train your dogs.
Interactive Dog Puzzles
We love to use Nina Ottosson dog puzzles for our Jack Russells. Your dog has to learn how to twist and turn them to get to the treats. It stimulates them mentally and physically. These puzzles have different levels from 1 (easiest) to 3 (hard) and so you can start with the easy and when they have mastered that one increase the difficulty by progressing to the next level.
- ADVANCED LEVEL FUN: The Nina Ottosson level 3 Dog Twister puzzle dog toy is designed for advanced levels of problem-solving play that challenge your dog with learning sequential steps. A fun way for your smart pups to train their brain while redirecting destructive or negative behavior in an exciting way
- SLIDE, PULL, & LOCK TO HIDE TREATS: Place the treats underneath the triangular block compartments and push in the white plastic tabs to lock the blocks in place. Your dog will have to lift the tabs sequentially to unlock the blocks and move them to reveal the treats
- NO REMOVABLE PARTS & EASY TO CLEAN: Built in play pieces that don't come out when your dog plays to prevent choking. Durable construction also helps to keep this dog toy intact, making it your new go-to treat puzzle dog toy
You might also want to read: Why does my Jack Russell follow me everywhere?