jackrussellworld.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Affiliate links may be used on this page and in jackrussellworld.co.uk articles, but they do not impact on the price that you pay.
As distusting as it is, the question still has to be asked: Why do Dogs Roll in Fox Poo? Well first, let me tell you a story…
My last Jack Russell Milo had a lovely white coat – he’s not long been to the groomers and still had a fresh scent of strawberry dog shampoo in his coat. We were out for a walk in the countryside and he managed to get a bit of off-lead time (which was rare as he was easily distracted by other dogs). I saw him quite a few metres ahead of me launching down into the grass repeatedly. I ran over to see what was going on, by which time it was too late – he was already on his back wiggling from side to side all over….FOX POO! And guess what? It stunk! But, it’s actually not an uncommon thing for dogs to do…
Why do Dogs Roll in Fox Poo?
Well in the wild, dogs would roll in fox poo because it is so strong smelling and it helps to mask their scent, resulting in them having a more successful hunt. their prey would not be able to sense them coming – disguised by the fox poo scent. Of course, domesticated dogs don’t need to do this as they are fed by their owners, but it is a very natural inbuilt behaviour that is difficult to stop.
Another theory is not that they want to pick up the fox poo scent, but that they want to leave their own scent behind. This could be for many reasons, looking for a mate being one of them. Yet even when they are neutered, dogs still seem to want to do this because it is such a strong instinct!
In fact, many dogs, especially Jack Russells love rolling in fox poo and are almost unstoppable!
What can I do if my Dog Rolls in Fox Poo?
If your dog rolls in fox poo, he will almost certainly need a bath! The scent can linger and last for ages, and it really is disgusting.
The great news is that you can buy the amazing FOX POO SHAMPOO especially formulated for poo-loving dogs by Animology! This unique dog shampoo removes the ‘fox poo scent’ and leaves your dog smelling clean and refreshed after his antics!
- Remove dirt and Odour without stripping oils
- Easy Rinse Technology keeps washing time to a minimum
- Pro-Vitamin B5 to improve health, strength and condition of coat
If your dog stinks too much to even bring into the house, you can consider getting a Mud Daddy. It’s an outdoor dog washing facility that can fit easily in the boot of your car. Use it for washing your dog off before he gets in the car, or even in the garden before he goes into your house.
- ✔ MUD REMOVER: Perfect solution for removing fresh mud or dirt from surfaces; pressure washer suitable for cleaning paws, hooves, boots, bikes, wellies, tyres and more
- ✔ MULTI PURPOSE: Wash dogs paws before they get in the car; scrub football boots when the children come back from the field; clean bicycle tyres before wheeling into the house; whatever the mud you wish to remove Mud Daddy is the only tool you need
- ✔ ECO - FRIENDLY: Uses 90% less water than a hose pipe; uses 80% less water than a jet wash, environmentally friendly option
What about your pooch? Has he ever embellished himself with fox poo on a sunny afternoon?!?!
You might also like to read why do Jack Russells growl?