Long haired Jack Russells are a very popular type of Jack Russell Terrier. They can have curly coats that make them look more like a Poodle than a Jack Russell, or smoother but longish hair. Some are smooth long haired JRTs. In this article, we will talk about the main differences between these dogs and other types of Jack Russells.
Long Haired Jack Russell Grooming
If you are seriously considering getting a long haired Jack Russell, then you need to be ready for a lot of brushing. Your dog will need daily brushing and combing so that his coat stays clean and healthy.
- DE-MATTING TOOL: Our Soft Protection Slicker Brush is specifically designed to effectively de-matt long fur coats, keeping your pet's coat healthy and tangle-free
- ERGONOMIC SOFT GRIP HANDLE: The slicker brush features an ergonomic soft grip handle, ensuring comfortable and easy use while grooming your pet
- REMOVES MATTS, TANGLES & LOOSE HAIR: This versatile brush eliminates matts, tangles, and loose hair, promoting a well-groomed appearance for your pet
Long haired JRTs also require more grooming than their short-haired counterparts in order to achieve the best possible look. You will need to regularly trim their hair and nails. Some of the grooming tools that you may need include a slicker brush, metal dog comb and a nail clipper.
- Durable material: the pet grooming comb is manufactured from stainless steel material, which is rustproof and corrosion-resistant, sturdy, durable and not easy to break, providing you with long-lasting use
- Lightweight and small: the pet steel comb measures approx. 19 x 3 cm/ 7.48 x 1.18 inches in size, lightweight design and small size allow you to easily put it in your bag while won't take up much space
- Safe and effective: designed with smooth and durable surface, the round teeth dog comb won't scratch the pet's skin and will offer comfortable grooming experience without hurting your pet, also can effectively prevent static electricity
If you do not have the time to keep up with your dog, then you might consider getting a more low maintenance breed. Not only is caring for long haired JRTs labor intensive, but it can also be costly if you decide to pay a professional groomer to care for your dog’s coat.
- Ergonomically designed non-slip handles are strong,lightweight,and comfortable.
- Sharp blades are made of high quality stainless. Unlock protection prevent children from using it.
- Free Hidden Nail File conveniently stored in handle will allow you to polish sharp nails to perfection.
Curly or Straight?!
Long-haired Jack Russell terriers can have curly hair or very straight hair. One common Long Haired JRT is a curly coated dog known as an LHR (long haired retriever). However, some dogs perceived to be long haired Jack Russells may actually be hybrids such as the Jackapoo (Jack Russell Poodle cross).
The other type of long haired JRT is the Smooth coat in which the dog’s coat is smooth, but they are still long haired.
They are Still Jack Russells!
The accepted definition of a Jack Russell Terrier has always been that it is a tri-colored, compact sized working dog . This breed was recognized by the AKC (American Kennel Club) in 1936.
While many people think Short Hair and Long Hair are different breeds, they’re actually not. They are the same breed, just with a different type of coat. But remember that you will get variety in the breed and the only real way to know for sure is to know your dogs parents or do a doggy DNA test.
So their personality will still be very energetic and active like a classic short haired Jack Russell.
Long Haired Jack Russells are so unusual and special and we totally love them!
If you enjoyed this article you might also like to read about Black and Tan Jack Russell