jackrussellworld.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Affiliate links may be used on this page and in jackrussellworld.co.uk articles, but they do not impact on the price that you pay.
There is an age-old argument concerning the dog crate. When the crate comes to mind, it’s easy to imagine a little one confined to a jail cell-like cage for most of the day! This is an unfortunate reality for many sheltered or neglected animals around the world.
It’s still only one reality! As long as it is used responsibly, the dog crate can be an extremely useful tool. In some cases, it can even save your pet’s life! Jack Russell crate training is integral.
Why Use a Dog Crate for Your Jack Russell?
There are several reasons for you to use a dog crate for your Jack Russell!
Dog crates are integral for puppy safety while you can’t offer direct supervision. Anyone who has ever raised a puppy will agree- the little ones will find trouble wherever it is to be found!
You could wind up with all kinds of choking hazards, destroyed wiring, and shredded bedding if you aren’t careful. You’ll want to be aware of any small spaces your pup can get himself stuck in. Not even the paint on your walls is safe from those little shark teeth!
A dog crate acts a little like a crib for a human baby, keeping your puppy safe while you can’t directly observe him.
Your dog’s crate can be a powerful potty-training tool! Dogs are naturally somewhat tidy animals. Unless they have grown used to caged life in a shelter, most dogs will prefer not to eliminate in confined spaces or sleeping areas.
Leashing a puppy directly by your side at all times is the preferable method during potty training. This way you’re able to catch and quickly correct any mistakes. If that isn’t possible, the Jack Russell crate is a second useful option!
Remember, puppies will need to eliminate at an average of once per hour of every month of age (until about 4 or five months). So, a 12-week old puppy will need to be let outside once every three hours.
Own Little Escape!
If your Jack Russell crate training is done properly, your little one will freely enter the crate. It will serve the same function as a dog den, offering shelter and security when your little one feels overwhelmed.
At least that is how your pet will view it!
Your dog might escape to the crate if he wants a better night’s sleep, or just wants to be left alone. His crate might make him feel better when fireworks or loud cracks of thunder have him on edge.
- For this to work, you don’t want to use the dog crate as a punishment.
- Try not to bother your dog while he’s in the crate.
- Only associate positivity with the crate.
What size Crate for a Jack Russell?
What sized crate is best for a Jack Russell Terrier? You don’t want to keep having to buy dog crates!
You’re buying for a small breed. Your Jack will be a short adult, and shouldn’t weigh much more than an average of 13-17 pounds. He’ll need enough room to comfortably stand up and turn around completely.
You might want to offer a little bit extra for toys or food/water bowls, but there’s no need to go overboard here! A 24” tall crate would probably be good for an adult Russell.
But what if you want to use the Jack Russell dog crate for potty training? You might not want to start out with an adult-sized crate. At the same time, you don’t want to throw away money by constantly upgrading.
Invest in a crate with a partition in the middle! You can remove the partition and double your pup’s room as he grows. You’re still able to purchase one adult-sized crate this way, and never have to upgrade.
Recommended Jack Russell Crates from Amazon
So, what type of Jack Russell Crate do you want to invest in? You certainly don’t want to continuously spend money on inferior items only for them to break down!
MidWest Homes for Pets Dog Crate
- 30L X 19W X 21H Inches
- Ideal for pets 26 to 40 pounds
- Single Door. Fold and Carry Configuration for portability
With over 110,000 reviews, the MidWest Homes for Pets dog crate is probably one of the most purchased crates on Amazon! You’re able to choose between seven sizes, and there is even a breed chart to help you out.
This is nearly the same build I have for my own Jack Russel mix! Since Loki is a mixed breed, I wasn’t sure exactly how large he would grow and went with a large crate. It was a little costly, but the price was well worth it! Both Loki and my Beagle Vali are able to fit comfortably at once.
If that weren’t enough, this dog crate will probably outlast all three of us! The metal design is extremely durable. It’s the only dog crate we will ever need, so the initial expense was less money than may have been spent otherwise.
- The metal design is extremely durable
- Comes with partition included
- Easy to assemble
- Foldable for transport
- Can use the partition for puppies, remove for adults
Best Dog Crate for Home
2PET Folding Soft Dog Crate
- ALL-IN-ONE FOLDABLE DOG CRATE - If you're looking to buy a foldable dog crate that combines all the functionality with a touch of class & innovation, 2PET Fold-A-Crate is the perfect choice - All-in-One dog crate for indoor, outdoor, training & travel purposes - Refer to the size chart for size details
- STRONG STEEL TUBE DESIGN - Unlike many other flimsy & makeshift dog crates out there, Fold-A-Crate uses a strong yet lightweight steel tube design that can be folded/unfolded in a jiffy - Includes a top handle to convert it into a fully-functional pet carrier
- WASHABLE SOFT FABRIC COVER - The steel frame is covered with a water resistant, soft Oxford 600D fabric cover (a nylon variant) that is fully removable & machine washable - The new & improved design includes full frontal zipper that dogs can't easily chew to bits
There is only one real downside to the dog crate listed directly above this one. It can be very heavy and cumbersome to move.
The 2Pet Folding Soft Dog Crate doesn’t have that drawback! It uses a lightweight steel frame inside an Oxford 600D fabric cover, making it a much lighter option. If you’re looking for a travel dog crate or you take trips often, this is perfect for you!
- Great for travel
- Easy to transport
- Great for outdoor training
Best Dog Crate for Travel
Amazon Basics Portable Folding Soft Dog Travel Crate
- Folding soft-sided 36-inch dog crate for large dogs up to 70 pounds
- 2 doors (top and front); mesh windows and front door for ventilation on all 4 sides
- Secure zipper closures; fastening straps keep unzipped rolled-up doors positioned neatly out of the way
This dog crate from Amazon is another fantastic lightweight idea! It would work great for things like travel, camping, and just plain relaxing. It’s very easy to set up because your crate is made of a PVC frame and polyester fabric.
- PVC frame with polyester Fabric
- 2 doors with mesh windows
- Installation in seconds with no tools required
- Folds flat for easy transport & storage
- Zipper closures & fastening straps