Sometimes it can seem difficult to satisfy our beloved canine companions. As owners, we want to provide healthy treats that taste great at the same time, but this isn’t always easy. What are the best dog treats for Jack Russell terriers?
Always Provide Fresh Water
Though some dog treats aren’t made with salt, many are. Too much salt/sodium added to the existing content in your dog’s food can cause a dog without constant access to freshwater to dehydrate.
Extreme hypernatremia creates an electrolyte imbalance, which will, in turn, create more issues than the low circulatory volume from dehydration or excess urination. Salt poisoning is often directly related to water consumption (Merk Veterinary Manual).
If you’re out hiking on the trail, bring a travel water bowl and a water bottle. You can also check out one of these fantastic dog-specific water bottles!
Watch the Carbs & Calories
The best dog treats for Jack Russell Terriers won’t go overboard with the calories! Remember, these dog treats are only adding to your dog’s existing diet, which is unfortunately already unhealthy for many domesticated pets.
The Grey wolves our domestic dogs descended from don’t have much nutritional need for carbohydrates. Unlike humans, they would derive most of their energy from fat stores. Today’s dogs have adapted to a human lifestyle, but don’t have the same need for carbs we do.
It’s easy to forget about carbohydrates and calories with tiny dog treats!
- Carbohydrates: 4 cals/gram
- Protein: 4 cals/gram
- Fat: 9 cals/gram
Increase the Reward Value
Instead of purchasing my regular dog treats at the pet store, I mistakenly bought a smaller package of regular dog kibble, mistakenly thinking they were small training rewards! There wasn’t anything special about them, but I didn’t want to let them go to waste.
Even though these small bits of kibble probably didn’t taste any different to my dogs, I was able to increase their value to that of our regular treats!
We will often play “Hide and Seek” games. My dogs absolutely love them because they are very enriching. I would reward them with these small bits of kibble, making them seem like the best things in the world!
- Use plenty of enthusiastic praise
- Don’t over reward, or the “treats” may begin to lose their value
- Act physically excited about your new dog treats
What are the Best Dog Treats for Jack Russell Training?
Depending on the type of dog training you’re doing, you might be handing out several dog treats at a time! Though the calories might not seem like much, they can quickly add up.
The best dog treats for Jack Russell training don’t necessarily need to taste fantastic, though that is important and will make rewarding easier. If you’re creative, you can use a few psychological strategies to increase the value of these rewards in your dog’s mind.
More importantly, dog treats should be healthy! You want to avoid weight gain. If you’re teaching your dog something like agility, the added caloric intake would be counter-productive to the point of the exercise.
More calories are fine if you only offer the treat as an occasional reward.
Wagg Tasty Chunks Dog Treats
- Meaty square shaped chunks with chicken, ham & beef
- Tasty chunks enriched with vitamins & minerals
- A complementary pet food ideal for a tasty treat
Your Jack Russell Terrier will absolutely love these meaty square-shaped treats! Wagg dog treats are oven-baked, locking in high quallity nutrition. The chicken, ham & beef flavoring here will drive your little guy wild!
Not only will these taste amazing, but they are also healthy too. Your Wagg Tasty Chunks are packed with vitamins and minerals.
- One kilocalorie is equivalent to one calorie. Kilojoules are metric measurements for calories, which you probably won’t see used.
- 9 kcal per treat
- 14% Beef meal
- 5.5% Chicken meal
- 21.5% Protein
Pooch and Mutt calm and relaxed
- Natural minibone natural dog treats designed to help anxious dogs remain calm
- Delicious, low calorie recipe includes chamomile and valerian root (two of the best know relaxation aids) and L-tryptophan (essential to form serotonin the ‘feel good’ neurotransmitter)
- Perfect treats for dogs before stressful situations such as visits to the vets, car journeys, fireworks, competitions, separation or just as a nice bedtime treat.
Are you looking for dog treats that your Jack Russell will love, but you want something low-calorie at the same time? Do you want something that could help calm your high energy Jack?
We all know Jack Russells are extremely high-energy dogs with a hefty prey drive and eac=ger willingness to bolt outdoors when the opportunity arises. Pooch & Mutt – Calm & Relaxed, Natural Dog Treats were designed to help calm your rambunctious pup.
- No added salt/sodium or carbohydrates/sugar
- Includes relaxation aids & l-tryptophan for serotonin production
- <3.8 calories per treat
- 10% dried lamb
- 13.3% protein
Pedigree Beef and Cheese tasty minis
- Tantalisingly tasty bite-sized treats, Tasty Bites dog chews are great for big and small dogs. This dog chew is the perfect way to reward your dog; an ideal dog treat for training
- Cheesy Nibbles - savoury cheese and beef in a small and soft dog treat that are ideal for training or simply enjoying at any time!
- A complementary pet food, Tasty Bites dog treats have been developed into a varied range of tasty shapes, sizes and textures by nutritionists and vets at The Waltham Centre
Your Jack Russell will absolutely love these flavorful dog treats from Pedigree! Reward your pup with something that tastes wonderful. They offer a wonderful cheesy beef flavoring your pup won’t be able to get enough of!
- Omega 3 fatty acids to support joint, skin & coat health
- Vitamin E for immune system support
- Includes calcium & other minerals
- 335 kcal/100 grams
- 15.3% protein
Bounce and Bella grain-free training treats
- TOP QUALITY! If you've been looking for premium natural dog treats that won't break the bank then your search is over! That's because the only ingredients in our training treats are freshly prepared chicken, duck and turkey meat (80%) and potato & sweet potato (20%) which means a healthier happier doggy - guaranteed!
- PRACTICAL! Because these are small grain-free training treats (approx 800 in 500g bag) you don't need to worry about over-feeding big or small dogs with your rewards. This is great because you can train your dogs or puppies for longer and just concentrate on training and enjoying yourselves. (Treats are crunchy so we recommend giving to puppies over 16 weeks old or after your pup's adult teeth have come through)
- ONLY 5 INGREDIENTS! Fresh chicken, duck & turkey meat (80%), potato and sweet potato (20%). That's it! Nothing else! No additives, no preservatives, no flavourings, no sugars and absolutely no grain (or gluten) to bulk up the food cheaply. This means you can rest easy knowing you're providing the best treats you can buy for your dog. Never let your dog suffer from junk-filled treats again! (Made in the UK)
We absolutely love these training treats! They are the healthiest on our list, offering the least amount of calories per treat. These are ideal for dog training because you can reward your Jack several times per session without worrying about weight gain over time!
You’ll only get great ingredients here! About 80% is made of duck and turkey meat, while the remaining 20% is composed of potatoes. You won’t find any additives, preservatives or artificial flavorings here.
- 500-gram packs, 2 pack
- 800 treats per pack
- 358.0 kcal/100g = 1790 kcal per pack/ 800 = just over 2 calories per treat!
Lowest Calories per Treat!
Best Treats for Training!
Lily’s Kitchen Duck and Venison sausages
- Proper food for dogs Grain free recipe Natural ingredients With freshly prepared proper meat no meat meal or fillers
- With chia & kale
- Vet approved recipe
Have you ever seen anything this creative before? Your dog probably hasn’t! These creative sausages aren’t just adorable. They’re packed full of flavor!
In a perfect world, our pet’s diets would be composed of more animal protein and fats, while limiting the carbohydrates. Unfortunately, growing grains and other plant-based ingredients is much easier than raising, feeding, and housing them. Many commercial dog foods are packed with cheaper filler ingredients for this reason.
Lily’s Kitchen Duck and Venison sausages avoid those carbohydrate-heavy grains and starches!
- 70% Freshly Prepared Duck
- Grain-free recipe
- Chia & kale
If you enjoyed this article you might also like to read about Jack Russell Feeding Guide