There are certain products that are essential for bringing your new dog home. What dog essentials you need will vary depending on the breed and whether you are adopting a rescue dog or bringing a puppy into your new home. But the standard dog essentials that you will need are:
- Bed or Crate
- Lead and harness
- Food and water bowls
- Food Supply
- Training Treats
Do you have a dog and want to learn about all the essential products you will need? Here is your guide on which products are necessary and the best places to purchase them.
We will go over how to choose a bed or crate for your pup, what types of leads and harnesses are out there, how to get food and water bowls, feeding your pup, what type of toys you can buy for him or her. In short, everything that needs to be done with a little help from my article!
Dog Essentials – Here’s what you need to bring your new Dog Home
So get stuck in – we’ll start with what might just be the most important thing for any pooch: their bed.
Bed or Crate
This is the most important out of all the dog essentials, next to food. Most dogs like a soft bed but it really depends on the breed. Some need a lot of space and others don’t need so much. You should think about what breed you have and how old it is (if it is still a puppy) when thinking about what type of bed to get. There are many beds out there that look like normal beds, ones that fold away, some have zippers in the bottom for easy cleaning and some even have dividers in them to make two separate areas.
For a puppy, I find that an indestructible mat is best as they don’t chew on them so it will last longer. Also, be careful buying one with ‘zippers’ for cleaning as they can be a bit too easy to rip. My favourite mat is the Petmate Powerpaw which is made from durable canvas material and has a rubber lip at the base of the fabric so it never moves around or shows dirt.
- Indulge your dog's natural instinct to dig & burrow
- Give your cat a cozy spot for napping and kneading
- Filled with high-loft, recycled polyester fiber fill
You will also need to get your dog some sort of bedding. I have had good experiences with their Vetbed range (which is available online too) so I would recommend this.
It is also important to get a dog bed cover as they can be very expensive to replace if your dog chews a hole in it. This one from Pets at Home is a great price and the material won’t give you any problems as it is made from polyester and cotton.
Make sure you get one that is comfy for your dog. The best idea would be to try some on with your dog before you buy them from a shop (if possible). The lead should also be adjustable so if the pup gets bigger then you can adjust it as well. I find that thinner leads are better than coiled ones because if they train them early enough then they are unlikely to chew it up.
You will need a collar for your dog. A collar that is flat-buckled does the trick for most dogs – it looks smart, it is easy to take on and off and they get used to it. I recommend the one above as it has a tag attached so you can put your details on there (in case they run off) as well as a bell if you are going anywhere where there might be other animals running around in the field or streets that might be barking. The sizing runs true so just choose the one you think will be the best fit for your dog, usually based on their neck size (measure from where their collar usually sits to an inch below their chin). You can also read our article about the best Jack Russell Collar.
- High-quality MATERIALS and good workmanship promise longevity and a lot of pleasure with our product. The snap lock is very robust and remains securely closed even under high load.
- Comfortable due to the special neoprene padding. The extra coating on the inside of the collar protects the sensitive neck area from pressure points.
- Greater safety thanks to the robust snap lock, which remains securely closed even under high loads. The stainless steel ring for fastening the leash is extremely stable.
Food and Water Bowls
There are many different types of food and water bowls out there for you to choose from. Some are stainless steel, others are ceramic and then there are plastic ones too. I would recommend getting a plastic one for inside the house as they are much easier to clean and are good if you have a dog who likes to chew on their bowl (or slop). I have used the Zartle brand bowls for years and they are great.
- Set of 2 durable stainless-steel food bowls for puppies, dogs, cats, or kittens
- Holds up to 900 grams each; perfect for dry kibble, wet food, treats, or water
- Rust resistant; offers a healthy alternative to plastic; doesn’t hold odors
Leads or Harnesses
There are different types of leads and harnesses on the market. The simplest is a flat lead which is just a strap that goes in front of the dog’s chest. This is probably the cheapest, but does not have any bells on it (so if lost you won’t hear it ringing). The disadvantage with this type of lead is that they don’t really hold in all directions which can make controlling them difficult for beginners.
- Size: Chest circumference: 40 -53 cm, Weight of the dog: 4-7 kg. For more products please visit our Amazon Storefront
- Professional control for urban walks: IDC Powerharness is your dog harness for bustling days, early morning walks, and getting around safely. It is a harness you can fit in one move and count on when you need it
- Interchangeable hook and loop patches: You can choose from countless different patch options to express your dog’s personality, mood, or to display useful information on your harness
I find that harnesses are much better, especially if you have a strong dog. If you have a dog as big as my Bernese Mountain Dog then harnesses are the only way to go. There are lots to choose from out there, some are padded and comfortable for your pooch but you will need to ensure that they hold them in tight if they pull hard. If not, then they can be pulled away and all of a sudden you’ll lose them. I find that the ones with springs do work well but can be difficult to put on. However, once on they don’t budge so it is worth investing in one of those (they also come with a lead).
This is very important, especially if your dog is going to be left alone for a long time or you have a really naughty dog. Chewing can help them deal with stress and anxiety, it may also help with teething too. The most important thing is that they don’t chew your stuff (especially the new shoes you just bought). I recommend buying some different types of chew toys so that they are stimulated and occupied with the different textures and smells. Make sure you get a few so that while one is being used another one is waiting to be used. A Kong Bone is a great option as they are very durable.
- Made with a tough, durable nylon this toy was made with powerful chewers in mind
- Made with three textured ends, an easy-to-hold arched design and delicious bison flavour throughout to make it the perfect chew for long lasting fun
- Tiny bristles raise on the bone during chewing, like a mini toothbrush to help keep teeth clean and prevent tartar build up
Toys for indoors
If your dog is used to being inside then you will need to keep them occupied with toys that will keep them interested. I recommend getting at least one or two balls as they are fun and can help with mental health!
- Mentally stimulating toy, offering enrichment by helping satisfy dogs’ instinctual needs
- KONG black rubber formula is specifically designed for power chewers
- Unpredictable bounce for games of fetch
I would also recommend taking a look at the Kong toys (above) as those are like no other. Stuffing a Kong with some treats and then freezing it is something that I do on a regular basis. You can also put treats or peanut butter in most toys to keep your dog entertained. However, make sure they are NOT slippery as they can be dangerous if you’re playing fetch if they slip from your hands.
- Extra Large Rop Toys for Large Dogs - 32 Inches with 4 knots for extra strength, suitable for tug of war, chewing, and training.
- Eco-friendly Nature Cotton Material - Very safe for your dog. You can have fun with your dog through this rope toy.
- Benefits to Your Dogs Teethes - Cleans teeth and massages gums. Also can be a nice chewable toy for large breeds dogs.
Ragga toys are great for tug-o-war and rough and tumble play. Blake loves to wrestle me for his ragga! They are sturdy toys and great for Jack Russell terriers.
Poop bags, bin liners and Pooper Scoopers
Last on the list of dog essentials is poop bags. You will need to clean up after your dog at all times when out for walks. I am always amazed by the amount of people who don’t have any bags on them at all when out walking their dog. It is so important to make sure you control the dog mess and take it with you. You can buy covered bin bags if you don’t want your hands smelly, or you can use some disposable gloves if that is what you prefer. I like to use eco friendly poop bags like these earth bags:
- ✅ BAG POO BETTER: 22x33cm doggie bags keep your hands safe, and odor contained. More than enough capacity for large dogs! A customer recently said "I've been using these bags for a couple of years now and love them. They're strong and seal the odor when tied shut."
- ✅ 100% LEAK-PROOF GUARANTEE: We stand by our quality. 270 lavender scented pet poo bags are included in each box. A total of 18 rolls that each include 15 puppy bags. Refills are now a breeze! We use recycled materials in our packaging and roll cores because details matter.
- ✅ STRESS-FREE WALKS: For pooh sake! It's time to up your game. Poo doesn't smell like roses: Our odor blocking lavender scented bags handles stank for good. Simple to open and tie securely so you can enjoy a stress-free walk with your best bud. No need to rush!
You may also need a scoop and I have found this scooper to be really good. It isn’t too long and makes things easy for those who are not used to picking animal faeces up!
- PORTABLE: DogBuddy Pooper Scooper hooks on a leash. You won't forget it and you won't have to carry it.
- CONVENIENT: DogBuddy Pooper Scooper has integrated waste bag compartment so you are all set. Use any standard size rolls.
- EXTENDABLE: Backside adjusts in size so you can scoop it all. Best for medium dogs and pets.
There are so many things that can be useful when out walking your dog with all of the things that we have already mentioned in this blog post. However, the most important thing is just making sure your dog has an amazing life. I hope that you have enjoyed this Jack Russell blog on dog essentials.