jackrussellworld.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Affiliate links may be used on this page and in jackrussellworld.co.uk articles, but they do not impact on the price that you pay.
Some people think that Jack Russells are short haired dogs and so they don’t really need grooming. However, Jack Russell grooming can prevent a whole host of issues. If you are home most of the day and can find time to brush your dog every morning or at least once per week, then it’s worth investing in a high quality brush that will get through their coat efficiently. It will keep your Jack Russells coat healthy and if he is moulting, brushing will result in less fur on the furniture or carpets!
So what is considered a good brush? It should be able to get through your dog’s coat and remove the dead hair, but not hurt them or cause any discomfort. There are many dog brushes on the market and it’s difficult to know which one is best for your dog. This article will review some of the top rated brushes for small dogs and hopefully help you find the best brush for Jack Russell Terrier dogs.
The FURminator dog brush (best dog brush)
The FURminator is a great dog brush for a Jack Russell Terrier or other small dogs. It has been designed with anti-static and self cleaning features that help it reduce the amount of hair that catches on the rake as you are brushing your pet. This results in less hair being shed, therefore taking out more of the undercoat.
If you do decide to get a FURminator, be prepared to devote 5-10 minutes per session and brush all over your pet’s body so that you get even coverage. Once most of the undercoat is removed, it should not take as long each time you brush your dog.
They come in three different sizes – small, medium and large. The Furminator for small dogs should be perfect for a Jack Russell terrier.
Here is a link to get the best price on FURminator dog brush:
- Reduces shedding up to 90 %
- Stainless steel deShedding edge reaches deep beneath your dog's short topcoat to gently remove undercoat and loose hair
- Used and recommended by veterinarians and professional groomers
Slicker brush for Jack Russell
If you have a Jack Russell Terrier or small dog that does not like the sensation of the FURminator, then you may want to try out a slicker brush instead. These brushes are typically made from an aluminium material and will remove more hair than a normal bristle brush. The downside is that they can hurt your dog if you use too much force, but it is easy to learn how to brush and only a few strokes will be needed.
Slicker brushes are great for removing loose hair and dander from your pet’s coat. They can also help get rid of dead undercoat hair. They are a good alternative if you are planning to brush your dog regularly.
You may prefer to get a slicker brush that has small pin heads on the end, so that it does not dig into your dogs skin too much.
Here is a link to get the best price on a small slicker brush:
- Included components: Soft Protection Slicker Brush Small
Dog Grooming Comb
If you would prefer not to use either of the brushes above, then a fine tooth metal comb or large wooden polisher comb can be used instead. These are often used for grooming the hair on top of your dog’s head, but they can also be used all over the body if you are careful and do not apply too much pressure.
These combs will help remove loose hair and flaky skin, which may seem gross to some people, but it helps get rid of a lot of loose hair if used regularly. These combs are great to use after you bathe your dog, but it may not be necessary to brush them every day – once per month or so should still help them look great.
You can find wooden polisher combs here OR metal fine tooth combs here:
- Durable material: the pet grooming comb is manufactured from stainless steel material, which is rustproof and corrosion-resistant, sturdy, durable and not easy to break, providing you with long-lasting use
- Lightweight and small: the pet steel comb measures approx. 19 x 3 cm/ 7.48 x 1.18 inches in size, lightweight design and small size allow you to easily put it in your bag while won't take up much space
- Safe and effective: designed with smooth and durable surface, the round teeth dog comb won't scratch the pet's skin and will offer comfortable grooming experience without hurting your pet, also can effectively prevent static electricity
Top Jack Russell Grooming tips
1) Brush your pet all over starting from their head to their tail. It’s better to take 15 minutes and do a thorough job than to rush and not brush them well.
2) Brush your dog’s tummy as well as the top of their tail. You should be able to get a lot of loose fur from this area.
3) Check for parasites such as fleas and ticks when you are grooming your dog.
4) Avoid sensitive areas such as inside the ears and the armpits – especially if you have a short haired Jack Russell this won’t be necessary.
5) Finally, brush your pet’s tail. This is an area that often has a lot of loose fur and you will need to take time brushing it thoroughly.